Most Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

The Best Almond Poppy Seed Bread

The first official day of fall is September 22nd—less than three weeks away. Aren't you looking forward to cable-knit sweaters and orange leaves and cold noses? To ring in the season, Brenda of A Farmgirl's Dabbles is sharing her recipe for the best almond poppy seed bread, all warm from the oven...
The Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread You'll Ever Have
By Brenda Score of A Farmgirl's Dabbles


Our daughters have a thing for almond bread and a thing for lemon poppy seed bread. All moist and thick-crumbed and incredibly flavorful, these breads are always at the top of their lists. But the sad thing is, I've never had reliable recipes for them in my own recipe box. So I set out to change that and combine the goodness of both almond and lemon into one great no-fail recipe.

These little loaves of almond bread are the best you'll ever find, guaranteed. Perfectly moist, they're flavored with the comfort of almond and the brightness of lemon. My favorite part, though, is the lemony sugar glaze that soaks into the bread, giving it extra moistness and a sweet lemon tang. Once the glaze cools and sets, it creates a wonderful thin crust over the top of the bread, giving the top of each slice a few bites of crunchy texture—if I could get away with only eating the top half of the entire loaf, I surely would!

Recipe: Almond Poppy Seed Bread with Lemon Glaze
Makes 2 small loaves

You'll need:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest

For the lemon glaze:
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 7-1/2" x 3-1/2" loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside. (I love this pan size—the smaller loaves make great gifts for hosts, new parents or a grieving family.)

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds. Stir on low, until just combined.

In a separate medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients—milk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, almond extract and lemon zest.

Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer on low speed, beat until incorporated. Then, raise the mixer speed to medium and beat for one more minute.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pans and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

While the bread is baking, prepare the glaze. Combine all glaze ingredients and whisk until incorporated. When the baked loaves are removed from the oven, immediately brush the glaze over the warm bread tops. It will seem like a lot of glaze, but it will soak in and make the bread ultra-moist and flavorful, with a bit of a sugary crust once cooled.

Cool loaves about 20 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges of the pans before removing bread from pans.

Thank you, Brenda!

P.S. More best recipes, including raspberry cake, English lemon cake and olive oil cake.

(Photos and recipe by Brenda Score of A Farmgirl's Dabbles. Thanks to Shoko for helping with this series.)

36 comments:

Lauren Ashley said...

The does sound like the perfect early fall treat - and yes, I am looking forward to sweaters, cool air, and boots!

thekittchen.com said...

If you want to mix it up a little add strawberries. The bakery across from my place has lemon poppy seed muffins with strawberries, and they are so great!

thekittchen.com

Grace Beekman said...

This looks amazing! I just did a post about buttermilk pie, but it looks like my next recipe will have to be this lemon poppy seed bread! Yum!

http://sometimesgracefully.com

happilyeverpresent.net said...

Yum! Can't wait for fun Fall baking!
http://happilyeverpresent.net/

Xlovehappyx said...

i am definitely looking forward to fall! i'll have to try this recipe :)

Regine Karpel said...

Yum!
This looks so good!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Akshara Vivekananthan said...

I always gravitate toward lemon poppy seed bread whenever I spot it in the grocery aisles. So tasty, the flavor is amazing! I can't wait to attempt this recipe!

Cheers!
Akshara
Simply Akshara

Jennifer of JennySue Makeup said...

Bring on the fall weather PLEASE!!! This bread actually looks like something I could pull off and would be yummy to eat while wrapped up in a blanket with a warm cup of coffee...or red wine:)

Michael said...

That looks absolutely delicious! I know I'll be making this soon!

Amy Lauree said...

Yum!
And did the Motherhood Monday Living in Italy post disappear? It showed up on my feed but I can't find it here??

Chantelle Nelson said...

This looks delicious! I definitely need to give this a go :)

The Girl In The Tartan Scarf

Melanie Price said...

YUM! I love lemon poppy seed bread. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Cheers.

deloom.com said...

A long time favorite! Sweet-sour flavor of the lemon and crunchy pops of poppy seeds. YUM!

jennifer schmittlin said...

This looks easy enough for me to bake.

http://angeliquejennifer.blogspot.com

Himani said...

What type of loaf pan do you use? Finding it hard to find the 7.5 by 3.5 size...

Michelle Panting said...

Yum. This looks amazing. It's funny, but here in Winnipeg, September has really marked a shift in the weather (toward fall). So I'm totally ready to fill my kitchen with the smells of baking.

http://www.fullbellywornsoles.com

Laura D said...

This looks great--I'm sold on anything that has lemon in it

http://greenmountainglobetrotter.blogspot.com/

Sabahnur said...

yumm.
it is hard to find that extracts but i'll try this looks so yummy. love everything with lemon!

Mani said...

Mm, this looks and sounds delicious!

Katelyn Kosinski said...

This looks so incredible! I'll have to try it! I'm currently working on a post of pumpkin recipes! Should be up soon :)

www.katelynnow.com

tinks said...

Is there something I should change about the recipe or cook time if I only have larger (5" x10") loaf pans?

Anya said...

Love, love, love Fall cooking. I have to try this lemon poppy seed bread. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

heather elaine said...

Definitely bookmarking this one -- It looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Purple Ivy said...

I would never have know where to start to make a loaf of bread. Poppy seed I can imagine in bread but lemon? Sounds reall good.

xoxo
Ivy
http://www.purrpleivy.com/

Susie Cutter said...

I am going to try this.. however, I have to make it Gluten Free. I love Lemons... :O)

Nicole said...

How many lemons do I need for this recipe? It says 2 tbsp of lemon zest and 2 tbsp of lemon juice, but how many lemons do I need to obtain those amounts?

feipeng wu said...

Thanks for sharing.
I will try it if I have times.

Lisa Parkar said...

There’s no word to describe such a great masterpiece. You made such an interesting piece Porcelain Veneers

Grace said...

This looks like the perfect lemon pound cake! I pinned it and hope to make it this weekend!

Gabrielle Tan said...

Just tried baking this! The results were fantastic. Thanks for sharing this recipe, its definitely a keeper ��

Gabrielle Tan said...

For me, I used 2 lemons.

Niki Caron said...

I love lemon poppyseed bread, and this looks so moist and incredible!

Zara Khan said...

I would love try the recipe :-)
this recipe is also nice check it out!
http://cakesandmuffinsrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/09/poppy-seed-lemon-cake.html

Kayla said...

I am trying out this recipe right now! I have been meaning to bake this bread for the past few months, but I am just getting around to it. I tasted the batter, and it is AMAZING! Can't wait for it to get out of the oven!

C. Conley said...

This is my new favorite recipe! I made it for my mom's group and they loved it. The glaze is so yummy! Thanks for posting this. :)

Those who were wondering about using a regular-sized loaf pan- I used a 9 x 5.5 pan and baked at 330 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Jra said...

what kind of sugar should we use for the glaze? powder sugar? Thanks!

Site design by Apartment One
Federated Media Publishing - Style